What is Digital Dentistry?
Digital dentistry refers to the use of digital technology in providing dental care. Digital technology can be used in diagnostics, preparation for procedures, record keeping, and more. The term digital essentially means electronic as opposed to tangible. It is something that can be viewed on a computer screen rather than an item you can physically touch, although copies of digital images and files can be printed onto paper.
Benefits of Digital Dentistry
Digital technology is revolutionizing dentistry due to the many benefits it offers:
- Reduces radiation exposure. Digital X-rays use a fraction of the radiation that is required for film X-rays, making this technology preferable for diagnostics.
- Increases security. Digital files can be stored more securely than physical files, protecting patients’ confidentiality and personal information.
- Improves patient understanding. Intraoral scopes and scanners allow dentists to project images onto a computer screen, allowing patients to get a better view and understanding of their own dental care needs.
- Eliminates messy impressions. Intraoral scanners have eliminated the need for messy impressions that tend to be uncomfortable for patients.
Services We Offer
We offer the following digital technologies in our practice:
- 3Shape Trios. This technologically advanced intraoral scanner allows us to make digital impressions of your teeth in preparation for dental procedures. It provides accurate images so that crowns, bridges, dental implants and occlusal guards can be created to fit properly and look natural.
- Intraoral Camera. An intraoral camera can be used to get a better view of the inside of the mouth. It provides live video and still images that both dentists and patients can view on a computer screen.
- Digital X-rays. Using less radiation than film, digital X-rays provide accurate images of the teeth above and below the gums to identify potential problems that require attention.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are digital X-rays safe?
Digital X-rays are even safer than traditional film X-rays because they use significantly less radiation to create images. We ask you to disclose whether you may be pregnant before taking any X-ray images.
Is my personal information secure with digital records?
Our digital files are stored in a secure server that only authorized users can access.
Does digital dentistry cost more?
There is no increase to your cost of care when we use digital technology. Our digital equipment makes our job easier and saves us money in operating costs, so there’s no reason for us to increase the cost of our services due to the use of digital tools.